Businessman Joseph Atria opened a grocery store in 1930 on Beverly Road. Local children came here for penny candy and ice cream. When prohibition ended, Atria added a beer garden. It later became a restaurant. UndatedBusinessman Joseph Atria opened a grocery store in 1930 on Beverly Road. Local children came here for penny candy and ice cream. When prohibition ended, Atria added a beer garden. Groundbreaking for the Beverly Road Business District’s renovation. From left: Rinaldo Mozzoni, Enny Lou Ducray, Joe Kirk, Commissioner John Fernsler. 1990sBusinessman Joseph Atria opened a grocery store in 1930 on Beverly Road. Local children came here for penny candy and ice cream. When prohibition ended, Atria added a beer garden. Although the store burned down in August 1951, it was rebuilt and later became a restaurant. Fred Abbott owned this Gulf Station on Cochran RoadA business card for the Haller Liquor business. undated. The business started in 1894.In 1920, businessman Joseph Roush built the 20-room “Sunnyhill” mansion at the corner of Washington Road and Sunnyhill Drive. He hired the Olmsted Brothers—sons of Frederick Law Olmsted, the most famous landscape architect in the country—to design the 11-acre grounds. Roush would later serve as a Mt. Lebanon commissioner and developed other areas in Mt. Lebanon. The house is now a Unitarian Church.This undated photo of the Sunset Hills area shows the beginning of the Castle Shannon Boulevard business district as well as Sunset Drive. Fruithurst Drive can be seen in the upper right. Groundbreaking for the Beverly Road Business District’s renovation. From left: Rinaldo Mozzoni, Enny Lou Ducray, Joe Kirk, Commissioner John Fernsler. 1990sBusinessman Joseph Atria opened a grocery store in 1930 on Beverly Road. Beverly Road Business District from Overlook, 1920s Looking north on West Liberty Avenue in 1920. The first borings into Mt. Washington for the Liberty Tunnels can be seen. J. Vincent Gilfillan, part owner of the feed business in the photo, lived on Cedar Blvd.This undated photo of the Sunset Hills area shows the beginning of the Castle Shannon Boulevard business district as well as Sunset Drive. Fruithurst Drive can be seen in the upper right. Groundbreaking for the Beverly Road Business District’s renovation. From left: Rinaldo Mozzoni, Enny Lou Ducray, Joe Kirk, Commissioner John Fernsler. 1990sBusinessman Joseph Atria opened a grocery store in 1930 on Beverly Road. Local children came here for penny candy and ice cream. When prohibition ended, Atria added a beer garden. Although the store burned down in August 1951, it was rebuilt and later became a restaurant. Wilber Raymond “Pat” Patterson, owner of the Gulf station on Cochran Road, stands outside the Buttery restaurant, located across the street from his business. Late 1950sA&P grocery on McFarland Road in the 1940sFred Abbott owned this Gulf station on Cochran Road.an 1867 raffle ticket from Alderson’s Tavern, which was located on Washington Road at the top of Cochran.Atlantic Gas Station on Castle Shannon Boulevard at Mt. Lebanon Boulevard in 1964Cars line up at Boron Gas Station on Cochran Road near Altoona Place during the 1970s gas crisis.In 1971, Bimbo’s, at the conner of Washington and Connor Roads, opened. A pizza joint, it was a popular destination for birthday parties that concluded with a pie in the birthday boy or girl’s faceRuby’s Cleaners on Beverly Road, late 1980sBeverly Road late 1980sIsaly’s deli was the place to go for skyscraper cones, Klondike bars, and chipped ham. In 1932, Isaly’s opened a store at 313 Beverly Road. The store moved to 303 Beverly Road (pictured) in 1941 and closed in 1980. An undated winter scene of Kaufmann’s Department Store at the corner of Washington and Gilkeson Roads. It opened August 3, 1963 and closed in 1987. Looking toward Kaufmann’s on the corner of Gilkeson and Washington Roads. UndatedKrogers grocery store on the corner of Cochran Road and Altoona Place, 1964Lowblaws grocery store on Cochran Road, 1964Looking down Bower Hill Road at St Clair Hospital in March 1958An undated postcard advertising St. Clair Hospital on Bower Hill RoadSandy’s Deli South in Graces on Bower Hill Road. UndatedFrom left, Doug, Bob, Chuck Satterfield—sons of H. Doyle Satterfield and Alice Rollier—joined their parents hardware business in 1966. Ten years later they transformed the 10,000-square-foot yellow brick building on McFarland Road with a new “barn” façade. In 1994, they moved the store to Washington Road.