The Beverly Road shopping district began in 1925 with a gasoline service station and quickly grew to include bakeries, groceries, pharmacies, jewelry stores, gift shops, and ice cream parlors. Undated1927 images of Parker gardens gas station, corner of Beverly and McFarland. Proprietor William Roegge stands outside1927 Mobile Gas, corner of Beverly and McFarlandMobile Gas Station, corner of Beverly and McFarland Roads in 1927. Parker Gardens Gas Station, corner of Beverly and McFarland Roads in 1927. Proprietor William Roegge stands out front Built in the 1940s, this Gulf station, owned by Wilber Raymond “Pat” Paterson, was located at the corner of Cedar and Cochran Roads. Every year Gulf Oil would host a Christmas contest for the best decorated station in the tri-state area. In 1957, this Gulf station took first place. The gas station was razed in 1964. Esso Gas Station, Washington Road just north of Mt. Lebanon Cemetery, 1937Esso Gas Station, Cochran Road, 1964Atlantic Gas Station on Cochran Road 1964: In 1964, Cochran Road, looking toward Bower Hill from just before Academy Avenue, seems to be little more than a row of gas stations. A closer look, however, reveals Loblaws grocery and farther along, at the intersection of Altoona Place, a Kroger’sFreedom Gas sign can be seen on the left of this March 1933 photo of Washington Road at Alfred StreetHaller Gas station on Washington Road between Academy and Shady Drive West. 1919The Bailey family stands outside their home on Washington Road at McFarland Road in 1895. Andrew McFarland had purchased the land from the Penn family in 1773; the house was erected in 1836. The little boy in the picture is “Pap” Bailey, who opened what is said to be Mt. Lebanon’s first gas station adjacent to the house in 1920. The house was torn down in 1945. The Bailey family stands outside their home on Washington Road at McFarland Road in 1895. The house was erected in 1836. The little boy in the picture is “Pap” Bailey, who opened what is said to be Mt. Lebanon’s first gas station adjacent to the house in 1920. The house was torn down in 1945. The Bailey family stands outside their home on Washington Road at McFarland Road in 1895. The little boy in the picture is “Pap” Bailey, who opened what is said to be Mt. Lebanon’s first gas station adjacent to the house in 1920. The house was torn down in 1945. In 1966, Lt. Thomas A. Bird Jr., became the first Mt. Lebanon resident to die in the Vietnam War after his helicopter was shot down during a fight for a Viet Cong command post. He grew up on Colonial Drive, and his father owned the Cochran Road Esso gas station. He was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. Beverly Road shopping District began in 1925 with a gas station. This picture was probably taken in the late 1920s1964 photo of Atlantic gas station on Cochran RoadIn 1964, Cochran Road, looking toward Bower Hill from just before Academy Avenue, seems to be little more than a row of gas stations. A closer look, however, reveals Loblaws grocery and farther along, at the intersection of Altoona Place, a Kroger’s.1927 Mobil Gas stationat the corner of McFarland and Beverly Roads1927 image of the Parker Gardens gas station at the corner of McFarland and Beverly Roads. Proprietor William Roegge poses outside.Atria’s and Amoco gas station, Beverly Road. 1941The Beverly Road shopping district began in 1925 with a gasoline service station and quickly grew to include bakeries, groceries, pharmacies, jewelry stores, gift shops, and ice cream parlors. Photo taken circa 1935Esso gas station, Cochran Road, 1964Atlantic Gas Station on Castle Shannon Boulevard at Mt. Lebanon Boulevard in 1964Cars line up at Boron Gas Station on Cochran Road near Altoona Place during the 1970s gas crisis.Cliff Heath took over the Haller car dealership, which was located on Washington Road between Academy and Shady Drive West. This picture taken 1960. The building was razed in the 1970sThe Haller’s used car lot was located on Washington Road across from the Hallers’ home and car dealership. From 1919 to 1959, the Haller family helped Mt. Lebanon residents meet their automobile needs.The Haller’s used car lot was located on Washington Road across from the Hallers’ home and car dealership. From 1919 to 1959, the Haller family helped Mt. Lebanon residents meet their automobile needs.In 1958, Ford Motor Company brought in Cliff Heath and subsequently canceled the Haller’s franchise. The Haller’s Mt. Lebanon Garage Co. then became a real estate company with Heath as a tenant. The dealership was located on Washington Road between Academy and Shady Drive West. This picture from 1960.An Apartment built by the Haller Family on Washington road between Academy and Shady Drive West. You can see part of the Haller’s car dealership to the right